ALES - hydroelectric power chain

BAO

The construction of Hydroelectric Power Chain at the Bolshaya Almatinka River was provided for by the State Plan for Electrification of Russia in 1920. The sole source of power supply to Alma-Aty was Alma-Aty Central Power Plant during the pre-war period. With the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, the USSR State Defense Committee decided to build the hydroelectric power chain at the Bolshaya Almatinka River for the provision of electric power to the plants and enterprises which were evacuated from the European part of the USSR.

Kaskad GES The engineering and pre-construction works were begun by the Leningrad Branch of “Hydroproject” Institute in 1942. And the construction of first power plants was started in April 1943. The construction was carried out under the national construction project involving more than 6 thousand citizens, military personnel, prisoners of war, and detainees. All works were poorly mechanized and all heavy works were practically carried out by human force. The selfless labor in extreme conditions has made it possible to commission the first-born of the Chain – HEP Plant 11 on April 1944.

ks1 This event was published in “Kazakhstanskaya Pravda” newspaper on May 1, 1944. HEP Plant 5 and HEP Plant 9 have delivered the electric current to the city on the 5 of September 1944 respectively. At the same year the construction of HEP Plant 6 and HEP Plant 7 was started, and in 1946 it was completed. HEP Plant 8 was put into operation in March 1948. The management board of Hydroelectric Power Chain under construction became a member of established “Kazenergo” District Energy Administration. Thus, the actual date of Almaty Hydroelectric Power Chain formation may be deemed to be the date of “Kazenergo” establishment, and thereafter “Almatyenergo” District Energy Administration, Production Association of Power and Electrification “Almatyenergo”, and “APC”, CJSC, i.e. 1943. However, the official date of Hydroelectric Power Chain formation as an enterprise within “Kazenergo” is recognized to be the 9 1948. The first phase of hydroelectric power chain construction has practically liquidated the electrical shortage in the electric power system. At the same time works on the usage of the Bolshaya Almatinka River water resource were continued. “Ozernaya” HEP Plant 1 with three Italian facilities made by “Ansaldo San Giorgio”, which are operated till present, was commissioned in October 1953. It should be noted that HEP Plant 1 is the highesthead hydroelectric power plant throughout the former USSR (H=532 m).

The construction of hydroelectric power plants using the power potential of the Big Almaty Gorge was completed by the commissioning of HEP Plant 2 in July 1959. The electric power generation by Hydroelectric Power Chain amounted to 50 – 60 % of the all power system energy balance in Almaty. Currently, th and the 17 th of August the share of annually generated electric power in the total volume of “AlES”, JSC power complex does not exceed 5-6 %. Nevertheless, in addition to economic power generation, the Hydroelectric Power Chain plays an important role not only in the supply of ecologically clean water to Almaty city, but due to the fact that the restart of electric power plants in the Chain in case of severe power failures accompanied by the collapse in electric power system, loss of interconnections, and full blackout of sources will ensure the delivery of auxiliary electric power to the nearest thermal power stations. The possibility of such situation is confirmed by the life experience, real events of system failure in 1986. Hydroelectric Power Chain began operating since February 15, 2007 as a part of “Almaty Power Stations”, JSC following the reorganization of “Almaty Power Consolidated”, JSC.

Location: 21, Enegreticheskaya str., Energetik village, Karasay district, Almaty region

Tel. / fax: (+7727) 275-92-49 / 220-53-11